Pair of early 20th Century caned lounge chairs by esteemed firm A.H. Davenport (Boston , New York) The cabinet / furniture shop was formed in 1866 by Albert Davenport. Davenport was working as a book-keeper in a cabinet shop, the owner passed, and he wisely purchased the business and changed the name. Davenport worked together with some of the finest architectural firms in the Northeast during the early 20th Century. Extensive works in Municipal Libraries in Boston followed by a renovation of the New York State Capitol, took Davenports finely crafted furniture to an appreciative and eager audience. The hiring of a young architect, Francis Bacon, eventually brought A.H. Davenport to the national spotlight in that the firm received several large contracts to oversee renovations within The White House, most notably reconfiguration of The State Dining Room, followed closely by President Roosevelt's Executive office in 1904. Davenport furnishings became fixtures in the White House throughout the 20th Century. Since 1936 , a pair of caned topped Davenport chairs have flanked the "Resolute" desk in The Oval Office. Every sitting President since Roosevelt has enjoyed this fine pair of armchairs.
Priced and sold only as a pair.
This pair of caned lounge chairs , have been refinished, recently re-caned and recently painted and custom fitted with down wrapped cushions.
Price available upon request.